This is the job title
To deliver safe quality care for patients during their perioperative phase of care · To support and assist in the management and organisation of care provision within the Operating Theatre. Promote good working relationships and collaborative working with the multi-disciplinary team, both within the department and the rest of IHG. To apply and promote best evidence-based practice within own scope of practice.· Act as an effective role model by developing and demonstrating effective organisational and leadership skills. To contribute to service improvements · To act in a manner in keeping with your relevant code of conduct and IHG values.
- Deliver high quality patient care, in line with IHG policy and procedures to patients during the perioperative phase.
- Ensure patient safety by following WHO surgical safety guidelines.
- Demonstrate competence and flexibility as a Theatre Practitioner, scrub, admissions, discharge, and recovery.
- Be responsible for and participate in the co-ordination of theatre list ensuring effective start and finish times.
- Ability to perform a range of circulating duties, treating patients with dignity and respect.
- Ensure preparation of theatre and required equipment for the operating list is undertaken effectively, to prevent delays or cancellations.
- Ensure effective cleaning of the theatre suite and safe handling of surgical equipment.
- Contribute to quality improvement and audit, raising incidents and concerns.
- Contribute to the effective management of resources.
- Demonstrate competence with current emergency resuscitation techniques to ILS level.
- Demonstrate safe handling of all waste management, adhering to IHG policies and guidelines.
- Manage own mandatory training compliance on e-lfh system.
- Ensure compliance with IPC standards, policy, and procedure at all times.
- Communicate effectively and support patients, during Local Anaesthetic procedures.
- Assist with the safe positioning of patients.
- Recognise the deteriorating patient using the NEWS2 score to assess the patient escalating concerns effectively.
- Provide post-operative advice and support to patients.
- Be responsible for the health and safety of yourself and others.
- Maintain accurate and contemporaneous clinical records including computerised records using the Patient Administration System.
- Take responsibility for identifying own learning and professional development needs.
- Maintains and improves own professional knowledge and competence.
- Keeps up to date with current professional practice and research, maintain professional registration.
This job description is not intended to be either prescriptive or exhaustive but aims to give an overview of the level of responsibility, the activities and the attributes required of the Theatre Practitioner (Ophthalmology) post. The services provided by IHG are developing and expanding rapidly, and a degree of flexibility, change and development is expected in all roles.